Friday, October 21, 2005

Some very significant thoughts of the day: Granola, God and Fridays.

I had 3 thoughts today that felt significant:

1. God is a symbol we use as a talisman against the fear that we won't be protected against annihilation (not just against the fear of annihilation) - this fear of loss of protection takes some sort of symbolic form substituting for the now-unconscious sense of a protecting guardian entity such as our parents that we integrated/incorporated/introjected/merged as a self-part or self-object as infants. I was so excited to have that thought as I walked Monty this morning that I recorded it in my cell-phone voice records thingy. But it ran out of space.

2. Fridays are so busy at work because since everyone puts stuff off during the week and suddenly realise that if they put it off another day it'll not be done until next week, for some reason it seems better to get things done by end of day Friday because otherwise it won't be until next week that it gets done.

3. If I eat a whole box of granola bars (I keep a bunch in my desk drawer) everyday, then that means I'm eating 800 calories worth of granola bars each day and that if I ate 3 boxes, it would be sort of at the top of my caloric-requirements scale, and that this would not be great because then when someone comments on my getting bigger of late, I would have to say 'I eat a lot of granola' a couple of times, just so that they hear what I'm saying because that's not what you generally expect to hear.

What significant thoughts do you have to share (post a comment).