I got an Army-Model (the big one) Ferrocerium rod blank in the mail from the UK yesterday, for $5.00 including shipping.
I spent some time in the backyard chopping out some of the locust wood branches to make a handle grip for it.
I debarked and squared a piece, sawed off the section, and sanded it down.
Monty walked off with it a couple of times - I cut him a piece of his own...
Next I will finish sanding it to shape, drill a hole into which I will epoxy the base of the rod, and a hole to tie a string to the whole mess. Then I will oil the wood, and put the metal into the base.
Then I will go camping.