Thursday, December 1, 2005

Act Firmly

You know, a couple of days ago I read in the New York Times that Ramsay Clark - ex attorney general under Johnson - had said about the primary charges against Saddam Hussein "[...]you have to act firmly when you have an assassination attempt".

That is, torture and execute all the men in a village.

I remember thinking "What the fuck?". And dismissed it. "I must have read it wrong. What ex attorney general would say something like that?" And moved on to another article.

And then I've come back to it again, thanks to this refreshing article in Slate. What kind of a jerk is this guy - as the article says - at least Clark is saying Saddam is guilty, despite saying he is guilty for some acceptable reason. Maybe it's an elaborate plan of the Americans and the neoconservative cabal - "we'll send an anonymous letter to Clark telling him he should defend Saddam, like he defended Milosevic and the Rwandan genocideurs... that'll cook his goose".

That's all I have to say. I'm disgusted with powerful people who use their power for evil. No matter what stripes they wear, what flag they wave, what innocence they profess.

I read something recently about men who mistake the plunder of evil for the pleasure from goodness. Which is how they can do evil, thinking the goodness they get is from good they're doing. Read that again - it makes sense.