Thursday, February 22, 2007

Stress Hormones and Cyclodextrins

This morning clumps of snow the size of dice fell on me as I walked into work and it made me happy. I've needed some happy as I've been quite busy raising and lowering the stress hormone levels in my blood, and this does take some energy. My boss returned from a trip to Phoenix and brought me back a bag of Flamin' Hot Crunchy Cheetos. She warned me they are super hot. I intend to find out tonight. This will likely lower my stress hormones.



I have been to several interviews this past week. I went to a second interview at a place I worked at 5 years ago - it was surreal to stand in the lobby and see folks I knew from then walk by me and wave. This raised my stress hormones considerably.

This Saturday Spring and I are driving to look at houses - we're selling the condo and getting a patch of grass for Monty, a patch of sunlight in a back yard for Spring, and patch of soil for me, in which I can plant potatoes. This picture in my mind reduces my stress hormones but engaging in the search activity raises them again.

I really don't know much about how stress hormones work, biochemically/medically speaking, but I have been very curious of late about how Febreze fabric freshener works. I thought about it rather deeply this morning and reminded myself to do a Google search for 'Febreze' and 'industrial enzymes' as I was quite certain that this is how it works - the industrially produced enzymes catalyze the breakdown of smelly compounds. But I was wrong.

"Febreze is an odour-eliminating product with modified Beta Cyclodextrin as one of its main ingredients. When Febreze is sprayed onto fabrics, the some-what soluble malodour molecules are dissolved in water. This is an essential part of the deodorization process. As a second step, when the solution dries, more and more malodour molecules complex with Cyclodextrin and are effectively retained to keep their concentration in the air low. This total process (water dissolution + complexation) decreases the volatility of the malodour molecules and causes odour elimination."




I wonder... if I spray Febreze on myself, will it lock up all of those stress hormones? Just a thought.



That's all I have to write, got to get through the stress hormone fluctuations, back soon enough. Here is a 'happy-place' image on which you may meditate: