Thursday, October 27, 2005

"Falling asleep during activities that require active participation."

I am so excited. I'm sitting here watching the ABC World News and a commercial for medication purporting to solve the 'medical condition' called Restless Legs Syndrome (uh, that would be RLS) came on.

Looking it up, I was able to find the Glaxo drug product information sheet (PDF document).
It reads in part:


"Although many of these patients reported somnolence while on REQUIP, some perceived that they had no warning signs such as excessive drowsiness, and believed that they were alert immediately prior to the event.[...]If a patient develops significant daytime sleepiness or episodes of falling asleep during activities that require active participation (e.g., conversations, eating, etc.), REQUIP should ordinarily be discontinued."
That's hilarious. I think this is a bit like large amounts of beers - I recall in university drinking a large amount and in mid-conversation passing out. Imagine other activities you could fall asleep during... It was in Kingston I seem to remember.

I have SRS, Simply Restless Syndrome. It is caused by a series of things on my mind, a large meal sitting heavily in my stomach, the knowledge that I am about to go out to the store to buy Spring some tasty ice-cream (she's feeling under the weather) and that I need to take Monty out for a pee.